Having a new self in Christ does not guarantee total victory over self, because Satan will come again and again to bring the old self back to you. But through constant renewal of your inner mind in God’s word, prayer and fasting
All battles in life are conquerable if you use the right strategies to address them. But the most difficult to conquer in life is a battle against self. If you can conquer battle against self, there is no battle you cannot conquer in your lifetime.
Self victory is one of the keys to victory over battles of life. If you can secure victory over self, you will secure victory over any battle of life that comes your way in your lifetime. Many people are under perpetual afflictions in life because Satan makes it extremely difficult for them to have victory over self.
WHAT IS SELF?
Self is a person’s essential being that distinguishes one person from another. Self is the identity, character or essential qualities of any person. Self is who you are, the true reflection of your entirety. When the first Adam fell through self in the Garden of Eden, God’s nature in mankind departed from man and they became conscious of everything. The glory departed, the knowledge of good and evil occupied the thought of men and they discovered that they were naked. Genesis 3:7-10, “7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. 8And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. 9And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? 10And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.” Satan took advantage of Adam’s mistake to rule over the thought of man in order to use it against oneself. Satan makes mankind vulnerable to all manner of evil. Mankind starts manifesting the works of flesh. Galatians 5:19-21, “19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revelings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” That old nature in Adam makes us to be at the mercy of Satan.
However, Jesus Christ gives us a new self in Him, when He gave Himself as atonement for the sins of mankind. 2 Corinthians 5: 17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold all things have become new.” The key to victory over self is to be in Christ. If you submit to Him, He will give you a new self in Him. He will break you down, refine for through Holy Spirit and give you a new life in Him.
Note this, having a new self in Christ does not guarantee total victory over self, because Satan will come again and again to bring the old self back to you. But through constant renewal of your inner mind in God’s word, prayer and fasting will help you to develop spiritual, physical, mental and emotional capacity in a new self to deal with old self. God’s words will sharpen your life to conform to Him. His words will guide you and help never to go astray again. Psalms 119:11, “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
His word will help you to discipline yourself. 1 Corinthians 9:27, “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” His word will help you to do self-assessment every moment of your life 1 Corinthians 10:12, “Wherefore let him that thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.”
Satan will you tempt you again and again. He tempted Jesus Christ against self after He finished 40days prayer and fasting. Jesus Christ conquered Satan through God’s word. You will not fail any test from Satan in the name of Jesus Christ. Any trap of sin fashioned against you shall not prosper in the name of Jesus Christ. By His mercy and grace, you will escape all traps of sin in the name of Jesus Christ.
Matthew 4:1-11, “1Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward hungry. 3And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. 5Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, 6And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. 7Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. 8Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; 9And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. 11Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.”
- You will be tempted with food. Not all foods are good for you. Not in every place you find yourself you must eat. You must be able to discipline yourself about what you put into your mouth. Esau lost his birthright through food. Satan will tempt you through as he tempted Jesus Christ, you must develop a capacity not to allow anything defile you. Daniel 1:8, “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.”
- You will be tempted through ego. Despite being equal with God, Jesus Christ humbled Himself. He exhibited heart of meekness and humility. Satan lost position as one of the arch angel because of ego. You develop capacity to subdue the ego in you. Philippians 2:6, “Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:”
- Love for the things of the world. 1 John 2:15-17, “15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
HOW TO REMAIN CONQUEROR OVER SELF:
- Meditating on God’s words: God’s word will give deep understanding and guide you in all your life’s endeavours. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, “16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
- Constant fellowship with God. Your consciousness of His presence with you will help to have control over self because you will want to please Him in all things and at all times.
- Prayer and fasting: Prayer and fasting transform our prayer life into a richer and more personal experience of God. Fasting enables the Holy Spirit to reveal our true spiritual condition. When you see your own brokenness more clearly, you are able to move toward repentance. It helps you to be more conscious of the things of the spirit, through which self is subdued.
- Keeping right association 1 Corinthians 5:11, “But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.”
- Oh Lord, I thank You for a new self I have in You in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, break me down and refine me with Holy Ghost fire.
- Oh Lord, deliver me from self destruction in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, give me absolute victory over old self in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, uphold me with Your spirit to the end in the name of Jesus Christ.