A compromise is a situation in which people accept something slightly different from what they really want, because of circumstances. It is the expedient acceptance of standards that are lower than is desirable. Expedient means convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral. God has set a standard way of life for us as Christians and He wants us to abide by the standard. Anything below the standard is compromise.
We are living in a world, especially in these last days, everything around us irrespective of our stand with God, wants us to compromise our standard. The moral standard is fallen every moment. Every event of life wants people to compromise. Things happening around our lives want us to compromise our Christian journey: in marriage; career pursuit; parenting; finances; business etc. Every day we are facing both spiritual and physical forces that want us to compromise. That is why as Christians, we must be conscious of every of our step in life or else the elects will fall into the traps of the end times. 1 Corinthians 10:12, “Therefore, let him who thinks he stands take heed, lest he falls.”
Once you have accepted Jesus Christ as Your Lord and Saviour and you have promised to follow to Him, to leave your old ways of life and follow a new way of life in Christ Jesus, if you shift your focus for a second, you are not worthy of His kingdom. That is why you must cry for His help daily to keep you in this journey to the end. Luke 9:62, “And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
However, what are the things you must not compromise?
- Your love for God, His word and your neighbour. Matthew 22:37-40, “37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”
- Your faith in Him and in His word. Hebrew 11:6, “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” Hebrew 10:38, “Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man drawback, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.” You must strengthen your faith in Him, by studying and meditating on God’s words. Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
- Honouring God with the proceeds of your labours. Malachi 3:10, “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.” Proverbs 3:9-10, “9Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the first fruits of all thine increase: 10So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
- Avoid lust for the things of the world 1 John 2:15-17, “15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”
In this perverse world we are living, Christians must seek for God’s help to be able to scale through things that want us compromise our faith in Him. My prayer is that God will always help us so that the things of the world will not cut short the glory ahead in the name of Jesus Christ (Amen)
- Oh Lord, help me to love You, Your words and my neighbour in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, strengthen my faith in You and Your word in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, help me to develop capacity to study and meditate upon Your word. Give me deep understanding in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, give me heart of giving to You and to the needy in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, deliver me from the lust for the things of the world in the name of Jesus Christ.
- Oh Lord, let me reign with You at the end of my sojourn on earth in the name of Jesus Christ.